Home  |  About  |  Testimonials  |  Discover Next Moxi  |  Practitioner or Audiologist Hearing Loss Information  |  Services  |  Contact Us


33 - 7th Ave. S. Unit C
Yorkton, SK   S3N 3V1


Email: chickencowshearing@hotmail.com

Click here for our Google Maps Location


Toll Free: 1 (888) 966-7707
Local: 1 (306) 786-7707
Fax: 1 (306) 828-0003


By Ted Venema PhD

1. Meeting Hearing Health care Needs with the Two Professions

The number of hearing health care professionals is dismally low when considering the

vast numbers of the aging population with hearing impairment. Look at the imminent

bulge of the aging baby boomers! The public’s hearing health care needs must be

addressed by the combined presence of both the Hearing Instrument Practitioner (HIP)

and the Audiologist. The HIP, more than the Audiologist, is likely to be found in smaller

communities throughout Canada. Given these facts, we need to work together!

2. Scopes of Practice of the Two Professions

The Audiologist definitely has the larger, more comprehensive scope of practice. In

addition to the mainstream adult population, the Audiologist is trained to test hearing in

all populations, including infants, the mentally disabled, and those who cannot respond to

the typical hearing test. The HIP has a smaller scope of practice, largely limited to the

mainstream adult population. The HIP, however, is a college-trained professional who is

well equipped to test hearing, recommend, and dispense hearing aids with no ensuing

harm to the public. This huge adult population accounts for the vast majority of the

hearing-impaired population, and this population can aptly be served by either the HIP or

Audiologist. It is this population in particular that is served within the lucrative area of

private practice. The simple fact, however, is that the HIP and Audiologist are both

professionals whose scopes of practice overlap considerably.

3. Education of the Two Professions

Audiologists spend 6-7 years studying for their profession, but not all these years are

spent studying Audiology! In Canada, the Audiologist must have a Masters Degree. A

Bachelors degree (BA or BSc) takes 4 years and a Masters degree (MA or MSc) takes

another 2-3 years. There is generally no such thing as a Bachelors Degree in Audiology.

While earning the Bachelors Degree, a student may hear about the field of Audiology and

realize this wonderful occupation can be had with continued Master Degree studies. In

reality, most Audiologists did not come out of Grade 12 thinking, “I want to become an

Audiologist, and so I am going to school for 6-7 years to do this.” The HIP is engaged in

the same arena of hearing health care as the Audiologist, but has 2-3 years of college

training, not university training. Colleges train for vocations and applied skills, not for

doing research. The HIP is trained specifically to test adult hearing and recommend and

fit hearing aids. Therefore, it is not true that the Audiologist has adequate training and the

HIP does not. There is simply more than one venue from which the public can choose for

mainstream adult hearing health care concerns.

As for me, my PhD is in Audiology. I have taught at two university Audiology programs

and two college HIP programs. I know and understand the curricula of both educational




Copyright © 2019 ChickenCow’s Hearing Centre LTD 33-7th Ave. S. Unit C Yorkton, Sk. S3N 3V1
Toll Free 1 888 966 7707
LOCAL 306 786 7707



This Page Was Last Updated March 28, 2021
 © Copyright 2021 Becquet Enterprises.  All rights reserved